Saturday 3 June 2017

Voice of the Actor

Voice of the Actor Unit 103.

Q1- Reflecting back to when you first started the Voice and the Actor unit, how would you describe your voice?

When i first started the voice and the actor unit, I found it very hard to project and in my opinion, my voice was weak because i didn't know how to control my breathing. Therefore when i try to project during a vocal exercise warm up, i found it really hard to control my breathing.For example when we were doing the breathing warm up, we had to focus on using our diaphragm in order to help controlling our breath whilst saying our lines. when we started the exercise i wasn't able to do it properly in order to help me project my voice properly whilst controlling my breath.

Q2- Once you  began to be more aware of your voice when working on text, what would you describe as your vocal strength as a performer?  

when i began working on text I've realise my voice has gotten so much stronger whilst  projecting and  also my clarity has improved.This is because, I've really learned to control my breathing whilst doing vocal and breathing exercises in Justin lesson. i was able to see the difference because whilst doing random i was able to understand the text it made it easier for me to clarify  my words in order to project clearly.

Q3-Once you began to be more aware of your voice when working on text, what would you describe as a vocal. (area of development) as a performer.

Articulation: Articulation is the movement of the tongue, lips,jaw and others speech organs ( the articulator) order to make speech sounds, being able to produce the correct vocal sound. Its mostly being to pronounce the word properly.

i think i really need to work on articulating my words, so that the audience wouldn't get lost in my words. this because i'm from the Caribbean and i have a really strong accent and the audience could really find it hard to understand what i'm trying to say, and this could also make them easily lose focus.

Q4-Now you are aware of vocal terminology such as Pitch, Articulation, and Clarity etc... How have you used these vocal areas in practice when working on text? And how have they improved your vocal development? 
 now that am aware of the different terminology such as Pitch, Articulation etc... i find whilst i was working on script during Random, i really needed to focus on my articulation, because  Debbie Tucker Green wrote her play in a really fast past so i needed to articulate as much a possible so people could understand what i was saying. this enhanced my vocal development as i knew how to articulate, whilst articulating difficult,easy word from the text.

clarity was also very important whilst working on the script by Debbie Tucker Green, i made sure my clarity was clear and understandable when working on text. i did this by slowing down and not rushing the words it give me time to articulate and tell the story though my emotion and words as much as possible. 

Q5-What vocal challenges have you faced when working on your melodrama and random scenes? please select a vocal challenge from each scene and explain the reason for the particular vocal challenges.
Whilst working on my melodrama and random scenes, I really struggle and had a lot of vocal challenges. For example, my pitch was a challenge for me whilst working on my melodrama scenes as I was playing an angles and I had to sound very peaceful and angelic. That was really challenging because i had to hold my pitch throughout the entire piece. This character voice was challenging because I had to change my voice to fit my characters.
Moreover, the vocal challenges that I faced when working on my random scenes was clarity and emotion, Debbie Tucker Green wrote in a fast pace and some of my dialogue had difficult understanding for example the line "when the blood gets old and dry, oh!!" That was a difficult line to show emotion at first because i was too focused on the pace of the writing, but then got told about the meaning of it and realised what I had to do! And I worked on it,and put way more emotions, because I understood the meaning behind of it.

Q6- What vocal strengths have you discovered whilst working on your melodrama and random scenes? please select a vocal strength from each scene and explain the reason this is a vocal strength.
whilst working on my melodrama scenes, my vocal strength was projection and clarity, this because i was playing an high status, because i was the  great Angle who was turning Ezekiel into and Hero. I had to portray my character with strength, elegant and power that's way i had to project and be as clear as possible. therefor my voice had to match my character.
however, whilst working on Random scenes, my vocal strength was my clarity, due to the fact that i was able to be clear with my lines and as fast has the pace was i was able to project properly and clearly, and i was able to do successfully.

Q7-Why is it important for actors to understand the importance and correct use of voice?
 It is very important and crucial,  for an actor to understand the importance and correct was to use you voice because as an actor you have to be able to tell the story with your voice and emotions as much as your actions. Moreover, it's also  important to use the right vocal terminology when on stage as it helps bring the character to life, not only physically and emotionally. it teaches you how to use your voice properly, and helps you not to strain your voice. when you understand the right way and usefulness of your voice you can do many different things to increase the value of it.     
                                          
Q8- Please set a specific vocal target for yourself moving forward and provide reasoning for the target you have set.
My vocal target for the future is i want to keep working on my clarity, because due to the fact that am from the Caribbean i have a really strong accent, and i feel like clarity is very important for the audience because if your not clear enough the audience wouldn't understand what your saying. i could do this by projecting and articulating my lines as much as possible, by opening my mouth,and using my teeth and tongue. 


                                           Vocal blog!
Voice and the Actor:
Create a specific vocal exercise programme for yourself to enhance your personal vocal development. Your vocal programme most consist of three vocal areas that aim to improve your voice as a performer. The exercise must provide clear step-by-step instruction on how the exercises are to be carried out and must be clearly formatted   


1: first vocal exercise.
      Throughout the past month I have been rehearsing for hairspray, and there’s a vocal and clarity game called “fuzzy duck, ducky fuzz”. Thought by Tyler.
.We first start by sitting or standing in a circle. Tyler then give the instruction on how to play the game, it has 3 rules, which is.
1.      The first person has to say Fuzzy Duck” to the person next to them, going in the direction it started rather its clockwise or anticlockwise.
2.      Then the following person has to respond/answer with a “Ducky Fuzz” but also add the “fuzzy duck” at the end, for the following person to answer with a “Ducky Fuzz”. This goes on till everyone at lease has a chance to say it.
3.       But there’s also a way to change direction, if you start the game anticlockwise, mess people up and see if their focus and how clear their clarity is you could change the direction by saying ”Does He”.

4.      This will really affect them, and show if they're paying attention because the game is in a fast pace probably,( one clap between every person, and if someone says does he then have to answer with one which is “Ducky Fuzz” not both like usually. The person will probably end up saying (does he f***, or f***y fuzz) and they will be out of the game.  

2: second vocal exercise.
Release tension in the body!
1.    You first stand in a neutral position with both feet hips weights apart.
2.    Then begin to slowly stretch both arms upwards on a count of ten second then downwards on a count of ten seconds also.
3    3.Followed by relaxing the arms and back in neutral again.
      4 .  Slowly begin to rotate the head both ways clockwise and anticlockwise, to release the tension in the neck, and do this for ten sec each both sides.
      5.  Bend the legs slightly and place the chain onto the chest then slow roll down and swing from left to right.
     6.Then roll back up with the chin back on chest then back to the centre.
     
    3. third vocal exercise.
    
    the Laban effort there are four different types 
       
        1.Push.
        2.Dab.
        3.Punch.
        4.Ring.
    doing this help your words sound more truthful with proper intentions.











No comments:

Post a Comment